Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Fireflies and Pop!Tech

I guess this is also a reply to the "Last rose of summer" post.

I'd like to say I have a very specific and special thing I do to get the creative juices flowing. But I don't. I always say I have interests, but they don't technically drive me to the point of: "can't go on without it!" Instead, I find inspiration in little bites throughout my day.

In fact, inspiration for me is a lot like fireflies. A small flash of light catches my eye. Then it disappears. Inspiration only lasts a second and is flickering all around us. The question we face is: Should we bother to grab it and hold it?

I am constantly absorbing things I see, read or experience. Every now and then, something flickers. However for me, I am overwhelmed with how much is all around me because I want to catch them all! A little overstimulated I guess.

I do get antsy about doing actual tangible art, but really, I enjoy just mentally chewing on it all. What sticks with me will eventually come out in the work I do in the time I can.

One little flicker of light I want to share that has really got me thinking are these online popcasts from the Pop!Tech conference. I enjoy listening to different approaches to thinking and questioning purpose in the work we do, and these speakers address that very thing.

If you have time, I recommend listening to Marian Bantjes, Benjamin Zander Jonathan Harris and Bill Shannon.

0 comments: